Sunday, March 16, 2014

Graduation Looming

Can you feel it? It's buzzing in the air. The lingering idea that soon senior students across the nation  will be walking across that stage to receive proof that they are now qualified. Many are counting down the days. Or, if you're like me, you're trying to avoid calendars as much as possible.

You would think after being in college for 9 years I would be checking off each day in my planner as it passes. The truth is, as a Material Studies major at VCU, I have been kept busy and will be kept busy right until the very end. I'm sure it is like this at other colleges too.

This week was spring break at VCU and the weather was gorgeous! It truly felt like spring. Unfortunately, the splendid weather was not what kept me out of the studio but rather I was stuck in the house suffering from a bad case of food poisoning. Yuck!

This did allow me to have a bit of reading time and I chose to finish a fantastic book I had been enjoying by Bill Bryson titled, "I'm a Stranger Here Myself." Bryson, an American, moved to England around 1977 where he settled down with his English wife and kids. After 20 years the family decided to relocate to New Hampshire, USA. This book is essentially Bryson's attempt at understanding and dealing with his reverse culture shock, something I feel I suffer from no matter what continent I'm on.

I have to admit I was delighted when I came across a chapter in which he had included the speech he'd given to the graduating class of Kimball Union Academy.

Some of my favorite parts of this speech I found particularly practical for metalsmiths/ jewelers. For example, at one point Bryson states, "I've learned that if you touch a surface to see if it is hot, it will be." Other gems include, "I've learned it is seldom a good idea to take clothing off over your head while riding a bicycle. And I have learned that nearly all small animals want to bite me and always will."

I was going to summarize the speech but it's so fantastic and short and bulleted that I thought you'd rather read it for yourselves so...

You can read this address in full right HERE.

I know, I know, you're graduating and don't have a lot of time. We can't all have the luxury of being food poisoned but do give it a glance. It's worth it.



As a reward for getting to the bottom of this page here is a picture of me in my dress robes, I mean graduation gown. You can see I was a little confused by the proper way to wear the dress hood. For a second, I thought I was graduating from Hogwarts. My brother made the wand. 

No comments: