Monday, March 31, 2014

Lost Wax Casting Extravaganza!

Hello folks!

I know, I know it's been a while. I've been very busy with all sorts of great things! I got a piece into a juried show, am working towards my graduation, and am also working very hard on RADICAL JEWELRY MAKEOVER! If you are unfamiliar with this awesome project please check out our WEBSITE! AND, for constant updates and awesome pictures check out our FACEBOOK PAGE! The show opens THIS FRIDAY but we are always accepting jewelry donations!

I was going to post some of the graphic design work I've been working on for this project here but then I thought... WHY DON'T I JUST LINK YOU? So there you have it. I've been in charge of website maintenance, updating the Facebook page and the promotional design work. And, I've loved every minute spent working on this project. Where else do both of my degrees co-exist so harmoniously?

But where's your jewelry, Jane?! 

I can hear you asking. Well, it's right here! In progress shots and all. I've been doing a little lost wax casting.

This was my display for the works I was submitting to be juried into the VCU student show. 

This is the piece on the far right that was accepted. 

The tools of my trade. I'm going to try to get into Wolf tools. 
I think I need to purchase my own set though. 

Here's the finished wax. 

Cast in sterling silver. 

I sent this picture to my Mum after I cast it. This is the first piece I have cast myself since my casting accident last semester. 

The last thing I cast before the accident and the first thing I have cast since. 

My old studio mate (Taylor Hale) asked for an in-progress pic. I sent her an "in-progress pic...kle." 

Finished result! Sterling silver and acrocarp moss. 

Meanwhile, I had previously assisted a casting with Susie Ganch. Susie approached me with the idea of making a piece of jewelry for Radical Jewelry Makeover by casting with some of the donated gold. This was such a great opportunity for me as I currently don't have the financial resources to work with gold (and ethically sourced gold at that!) I also knew I needed to get back in the saddle after being hurt while assisting a fellow student last semester. 

By using a slightly dulled scribe, I chased dappled detail into the finished ring. 

Blury studio shot, rear view. 

Front view. 14k Gold.


Happy family. 

There's always the risk of something you love hurting you. If/when it does give yourself as much time necessary to recover emotionally and physically. Surround yourself with people who will encourage you, support you and push you when you need it. Do not ever give up. 

No comments: